Again I have managed to leave another couple of months between blog posts. I seem to be good at doing that. But life just gets busy and time totally runs away from me and I am left sitting at my computer wondering how the hell did it end of 11pm. This seems to be the common place for me the last few weeks.

I have been putting in long days working on growing Mini Backdrops. I am no longer receiving any maternity pay, so there is a large pressure for my business to do well, and actually make money. My typical day looks like this:

6:00am – Wake up, find clothes for the kids while my husband makes lunches.

6:30 – Try not to freak out as I have one kids screaming about who knows what, while the other is having an epic fit because I don’t have the right pants for him to wear.

7:00 – Everyone is in the car, and we are on the way to drop the kids off in daycare/preschool. Usually one kid is crying.. some days it is fine.

7:05 – 8:00 – This varies a bit. Some days drop off is smooth. I take the kids in, get them set up, give hugs and kisses and I am on my way. Other days it is a nightmare where there is a lot of crying and adults peeling my kids from my legs. On the days it goes good, I am usually home by 7:30. Bad days.. it is closer to 8:00.

8:00 – 9:00 – I usually waste about 30 minutes trying to make the decision of should I do house work or should I just get right down to work. Some days I manage to get a workout in. I rarely remember to eat breakfast. Most days I walk in the door, make myself some tea and head to my computer to get to work.

9:00 – 14:00 – Work.. work.. work… maybe I should eat something… I can do that later… work.. work… Crap.. I need to pick up the kids in like an hour…

14:00 – 15:00 – About 20% of the time I use this time to clean up the house. 80% of the time I am in a mad rush to get whatever I am working on finished before I need to go get the kids.

15:00 – 16:15 – At this point I am totally stressed because I didn’t get everything I need to get done done. My husband comes and picks me up at about 15:45 and we go down to get groceries for dinner, then pick up the kids together. This most days is the smoothest part of our day. The moment we get home the chaos begins.


16:15 – 20:00 – Dinner, bathes, random clean up. Crying and laughing…. there are a lot of emotions at this time of day due to tired parents and 4 tired kids. We have bedtime at 7 for all the kids. My husband and I divide and conquer at this point. Each of us takes  a room (right now there are 2 kids per room), reads a story and most of the time sit with the kids until they fall asleep. This is usually all wrapped by by 8pm.

20:00 – 22:00 – Watch a tv show with the husband, or clean up, or play video games. I am lucky if I manage to stay up until 10pm

Now lately:

16:15 – 19:00 – I come home and go back to work. I need the extra time to get stuff done. My husband watches the kids and brings me dinner (he is so wonderful, and I am so blessed).

19:00 – 20:00 – I go up and help put the kids to bed.

20:00 – 23/24 – Work.. work… work… Some days my husband comes down to help.

Guys I am suffering from huge Mom guilt lately. My kids don’t see me often during the week. Now the reason for the long nights lately is because of two reasons. The two youngest had the flu for two weeks and for those two weeks I couldn’t work during the day. The two oldest have been in and out of doctors appointments, which also had taken up a lot of my work days.

I miss my kids, and I try to make sure I am not working on the weekends. I usually work until 9am on Saturday then stay away from the computer until Sunday evening.

I hope that every week won’t be like this. I hope that my kids will understand why I was not with them every evening. But it is difficult trying to balance family life and growing a small business, especially with the pressure of having to earn money, extra money to help with the bills.

And now it is almost 9 am on Saturday.. and I am off to make the most of the time I have with my kids.